The Counselor will provide mental health services under the supervision of licensed clinical staff including psychosocial assessments and will develop and implement Individual Life/Treatment Plans for adults diagnosed with psychiatric illness, substance abuse and co-occurring disorders. Counselor will provide crisis assessment and on-call coverage and will conduct individual and group therapy, psycho social rehabilitation and co-occurring disorders services.
Counselor is responsible for assisting in determining candidate's eligibility, as well as providing quality services and referrals in order to assist participants with attaining self sufficiency. The Counselor will also assist with admissions, discharge planning and property management as needed.
Credentials, Skills, Abilities, and Experience:
- Master's degree in social service field. MSW preferred. Florida Department of Health Registered intern pending Florida license.
- Fulfill credentialing requirements per agency policy.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to assess participant needs.
- Good working knowledge of resources and relevant requirements.
- Demonstrated skills in use of computer. Prefer use of Microsoft Office, SharePoint and database programs.
- Possess valid driver’s license and safe driving record. Must meet insurability standards in order to drive.
- Perform psychosocial assessment.
- Develop and implement Individual Treatment/Life Plan based upon participant's identified needs, formulating goals that are measurable and easily attainable.
- Organize and facilitate individual and group sessions.
- Ensure delivery of quality services. Participate on the quality improvement team including peer review.
- Regularly review participant's progress and Treatment/Life Plan. Analyze functioning and setbacks in order to determine progress, appropriateness of placement, and need for services and referrals. Obtain clinical supervision from Florida Department of Health Clinical Supervisor for license. Consult with Health Services Manager on cases as needed. Be responsive to participant's changing needs. Assess changes in level of care to determine additional resources or need for changes in services level. Assist accordingly.
- Maintain participant case records in compliance with agency standards and funding requirements including timely and accurate completion of same. Ensure that services are completed as prescribed on the Treatment/Life Plan. Maintain Documentation Track Sheet for assigned cases.
- Support participants in mastering needed independent living skills including hands-on assistance and training with apartment and money management, meal planning and preparation, shopping assistance, use of public transportation, etc. Assist participant with maintaining residence in an attractive, comfortable and safe manner.
- Assist participant with establishing mental health, case management, day program, substance abuse, medical, vocational, educational, employment and community services/linkages. Maintain ongoing collateral contacts to coordinate services.
- Ensure participant confidentiality.
- Monitor participant’s ingestion of medications as needed and provide supportive counseling for the prevention of relapse and hospitalization.
- Educate participants about their rights and community resources. Involve participants in structured self government.
- Encourage involvement in community support groups, activities and associations.
- Maximize participant’s ability to independently meet their needs.
- Advocate strongly on behalf of participants.
- Facilitate communication with family members and a positive relationship with staff.
- Develop close working positive relationships with providers in each participant’s service network, as well as with funders and regulatory agencies.
- Document all face to face and telephone contacts with participants and related collateral agencies according to agency guidelines. Document shift activity in the communications log.
- Complete and submit all documentation and reports as required in a timely manner.
- Attend all required staff meetings and in-service training sessions.
- Implement and comply with all agency policy and procedures as well as pertinent federal, state, and county regulations.
- Represent Volunteers of America of Florida at mental health trainings/functions.
- Determine and document candidate’s eligibility for housing and support services prior to admission.
- Assist participants with obtaining housing, furniture, clothing and food as needed.
- Particpate in placements and discharges of participants, including completion of discharge plan. Complete Course of Treatment Summary.
- Assist in locating apartments in the community for program/participants.
- Assist participants with moving as needed, be able to lift reasonable weights (up to seventy pounds) using support belt.
- Provide or arrange for transportation of participants and escort them, when needed, for medical, recreational, or other services.
- Be available 24 hours to provide crisis interventions. Inform supervisor and complete Incident Reports.
- Provide for the safety of participants at times of severe weather.
- Take a pro-active interest in professional development.
- Function as a team member.
- Meet program objectives as determined by Volunteers of America of Florida and administrative staff.
- Promote and maintain a positive image about Volunteers of America of Florida.
Normal Working Hours and Conditions:
- 40 hour or more workweek.
- Weekends or evenings as required.
- Some travel may be required.
Rate of Pay:
This is a salary position with an annualized salary of $35,600 per year.
Generous benefits package including vacation, sick and holiday pay, Section 125 plan, 403b plan, health, dental, vision, life, disability and supplemental insurance products available.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills.
It is the policy of Volunteers of America of Florida, as an Equal Opportunity Employer, to recruit, hire and promote to all job classifications without regard to race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
We are a drug-free workplace.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interview will be contacted.